Maximize your score on each row of the scorecard to outscore your opponents overall score total.
Yatzy can be played with 2 - 6 players. Players take turns rolling five dice. After each roll, the player chooses which dice to keep, and which to reroll. A player may reroll some or all of the dice up to two times on a turn. The player must put a score or zero into a score box each turn. The game ends when all score boxes are used. The player with the highest total score wins the game.
The following combinations earn points:
- Ones: The sum of all dice showing the number 1.
- Twos: The sum of all dice showing the number 2.
- Threes: The sum of all dice showing the number 3.
- Fours: The sum of all dice showing the number 4.
- Fives: The sum of all dice showing the number 5.
- Sixes: The sum of all dice showing the number 6.
If a player manages to score at least 63 points (three of each number) in the upper section, they are awarded a bonus of 50 points.
- One Pair: Two dice showing the same number. Score: Sum of those two dice.
- Two Pairs: Two pairs of dice. Score: Sum of dice in those two pairs.
- Three of a Kind: Three dice showing the same number. Score: Sum of those three dice.
- Four of a Kind: Four dice with the same number. Score: Sum of those four dice.
- Small Straight: Four consecutive numbers. Example: 3,4,5,6. Score: 30 points.
- Large Straight: Five consecutive numbers. Example: 1,2,3,4,5. Score: 40 points.
- House: Any set of three combined with a set of two. Score: 25 points.
- Chance: Any combination of dice. Score: Sum of all the dice.
- Yatzy: All five dice with the same number. Score: 50 points.
If two players have the same score at the end of the game, then the player with higher score in the order of the categories below will be deemed the winner:
- Yatzy Score
- Chance Score
- Upper Section Score
- Four of Kind Score
- Three of a Kind Score
- Two Pair Score
- One Pair Score
If all of the above scores are equal, the player who went first will be deemed the winner.